One of the things I love about creating the jewelry that I make is that it will last a long time! So it's important to know how best to care for them, right?! After all, we want our jewelry to be with us for many years to come.
(Note: All of my jewelry comes with an intentional patina)
Whether you got copper or sterling silver jewelry from me (or both!), there are a few general care points that apply to either one.
- Do not shower, sleep, expose your jewelry to harsh chemicals, or exercise while wearing your jewelry.
- Do not wear your jewelry while applying hairspray, lotions or other skincare products. When you use these, let them dry fully before putting on your jewelry.
- Do not clean your creations with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner or abrasive fabrics.
- Avoid intense and/or prolonged exposure to direct sunlight.
For light cleaning, use a drop of Dawn dishwashing detergent and a small gentle cloth or soft toothbrush. Scrub lightly, rinse beneath lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean soft cloth. Allow to dry fully before storing.
You can also use a jewelry polishing cloth. I would not recommend using the same cloth on copper and silver jewelry.
Some basic facts about copper jewelry.
- If copper turns your skin green or not has more to do with your skin pH on that particular day than anything else. This can change day to day, so don't worry if it didn't turn your skin one day and does another. Changes can be brought on by heat, sweat, stress, and even diet!
- Copper is a raw metal, so it is generally non-allergenic. You can specifically have a copper allergy, but most people that have an allergic reaction to jewelry have it due to nickel.
Some basic facts about sterling silver jewelry.
- All of my sterling silver jewelry is made with .925 grade purity
- Sterling silver is also non-allergenic.
- Sterling silver is a softer metal than most and can be scratched. Keep that in mind when storing. It is recommended to store individually in airtight bags, in a cool and dry place.